Hiking is fun and healthy. However, many enthusiasts face challenges when hiking. Some of the hustles include losing direction, unexpected weather changes and extreme conditions. With the best GPS watch for hiking, you can track your way home. This guide will help you to pick the best hiking watch 2019.
Whatever happens, the watch will communicate to remote devices to ensure you never lose your way. Modern technology, allows watches to monitor your health, weather conditions and direction. GPS technology comes in handy when you want to find your way. Read on for an extensive guide to the best GPS watches.
If you’re busy you can check this hiking watch
- How to Choose The Best GPS Watch For Hiking
- Top 10 Best Hiking Watch Reviews 2019
- 1. Garmin fenix 3 GPS Watch
- 2. LAD WEATHER German Sensor Digital Compass, Altimeter, Sport Watch
- 3. Timex Expedition Shock Digital Compass Watch
- 4. Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS
- 5. Garmin Forerunner 910XT GPS-Enabled Sport Watch
- 6. Suunto Core All Black Military Men’s Outdoor Sports Watch – SS014279010
- 7. TomTom Spark 3 Cardio + Music, GPS Fitness Watch
- 8. Parnerme GPS Running Watch Heart Rate Monitor Wrist Sport Watch
- 9. Suunto Traverse
- 10. Casio Men’s ‘Pro Trek’ Quartz Stainless Steel and Titanium Sport Watch
- Final Verdict
How to Choose The Best GPS Watch For Hiking
Don’t just buy a watch for telling time- there are so many other devices that can do that already! Choosing the right hiking GPS watch to buy can be a hustle. But, if you follow the guide below, it will be easy for you. Here are the considerations you need to make when purchasing the best GPS smartwatch for hiking.
Well, the stores have myriad GPS watches- you will need to buy one that doesn’t cause financial constraints. The best watches may cost a fortune, but it shouldn’t coerce you into buying a low-quality device. Make sure you know what you can afford, then get to the market with an open mind.
Why do you want the GPS watch in the first place? Do you want to hike in rain forests, mountains, and hot deserts or at the beaches? Well, your answers will guide you into picking a watch with the right features.
Top 10 Best Hiking Watch Reviews 2019
If you’re looking for a reliable GPS hiking smartwatch, Garmin fenix 3 GPS Watch could serve you right. Men, especially, will love the gray color and black band. But the women would like it too.
The beautiful and functional smartwatch’s design suits regular hiking and you can even use it for swimming!
The built-in wireless technology is strong enough, to track the deepest and most remote woods. Plus the battery has a long life that could go for more six weeks without any hitches.
Garmin fenix 3 GPS Watch is one of the must-have smartwatches for hikers. Have a close look at some of its features.
- Chroma Display: It has a high-resolution 1.2-inch visibility optical bonded. The QuickFit watch band is sturdy.
- Reliable battery life: The battery is rechargeable and could take up to 20 hours of training mode when GPS feature is on. In the UltraTrac mode, you could go up to 50 hours. But, when you are using minimalist settings, your battery could take six weeks before needing a recharge.
- Strong wireless signal: The EXO signal supports both GLONASS and EPO which are more accurate than the GPS. You can use Wi-Fi to synchronize your data via Garmin Connect.
- Has several features suitable for hiking
- The tracker is accurate
- It is water resistant
- Durable battery
- Not very cheap
Sometimes, you want more than just the watch and pedometer in a hiking smartwatch. This means you must pay attention to the extra features that the watch can offer.
LAD WEATHER German Sensor Digital Compass Altimeter watch is a multifunctional hiking trekking device that you should consider having.
It comes in several colors, and this makes it a unisex watch. The watch has different modes available to keep the battery running for long as well as improve performance.
The lightweight watch is compact and will not cause any fatigue issues for you. It measures 45 by 13 by 150 mm and weighs 57 grams. Anyway, let’s see the features of the LAD WEATHER German Sensor Digital Compass Altimeter watch.
- Chronograph and timers: The watch has a functional chronograph that helps you record how you’ve spent time. It measures the time elapsed, up to ten laps. Keep yourself active by setting alarms to help you achieve the daily goals.
- Weather prediction features: Hiking can be stressful if the weather is against you. The best watch for hiking should have a thermometer and weather prediction features. When climbing mountains, the watch’s barometer will track the atmospheric pressure.
- Digital Compass: How about ensuring that there is a compass to reinforce the GPS? Well, the watch has a Sensor Master which displays the angle value and direction.
- Best altimeter watch: One of the features you should consider when looking for mountaineering smartwatches is their ability to determine altitude. Altimeters let you know how high you have walked.
- One of the best altimeter watch
- Multifunctional mountain watch
- Water resistant
- Price is a little on the high end
Are you looking for the best hiking watch under 100 dollars? If yes, you should give a shot to the Timex Expedition Shock Digital Compass Watch.
This smartwatch has ISO-certified shock resistance. This, together with the sturdy casing, makes the watch durable and resistant to a different cause of damage.
If you are walking in course tough places, you should be ready to use a watch like this as it will not break if you fall.
Timex T49612 runs on one rechargeable Lithium metal battery. It measures 4.7 x 3.5 x 2.9 inches and weighs 6.4 ounces.
The resin band and bezel material together with shock resistant design make the watch durable. Below are some of the features of the GPS hiking watch.
- Digital Compass: Sometimes, you need reinforcement for the GPS location tracking feature. The compass displays the position you are in relation to longitudes, latitudes and cardinal points.
- Water resistance: If you deep Timex T49612 in water, it will still work unless you exceed the 200, (660 ft) depth mark. It is recommended for marine activity such as water surface swimming. However, it may not be appropriate for deep scuba diving.
- Efficient durability: The durable resin case and strap buckle closure ensures that you have your watch for long. The material is resistant and does not get damaged easily.
- Easy to use
- Appropriate for surface swimming and marine activities
- Water resistant
- Fortified direction tracking via GPS and a digital compass
- Olive and black color only
Are you looking for a combat-style Garmin hiking GPS watch? If yes, I’m sure you are going to like the silver Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS.
It measures 0.9 by 1.7 by 2.9 inches and weighs 3.1 ounces. This makes it minimalist in terms of backpacking. The screen measures 1.7 inches while the battery supports maximum use up to 17 hours. Two AAA batteries power the outdoor GPS watch.
Oh, plus the screen displays up to 100 by 64 pixels. It also supports dual position readouts which allow users to view their location in different formats
The GPS receiver and HotFix have high sensitivity. This promotes its performance and reception even in deep forests or canyons.
The watch has several other amazing features such as those indicated below.
- Bluetooth connection: You can sync the Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS with other devices via Bluetooth. You can also connect to your devices using the USB or use the wireless data sending functionalities.
- Weather measurement features: If you are going for hiking, then you had better have the right weather tools. Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GP has an inbuilt digital barometer and altimeter.
- Electronic compass: Know where you are headed using the watch’s digital compass. If you are hiking in rural sites, this feature reinforces the GPS in tracking your location.
- Other features: It’s a watch first- so, you can always set the time, alarms, schedules, and timers. Get hunting and fishing information, too.
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Compact and lightweight
- Durable battery
- Water resistant
- Sturdy, long-lasting design
- AAA batteries are sometimes too big
Are you searching for the best Garmin GPS watch on the market today? Well, the company has a large number of good smartwatches. You can always keep in touch with us for the reviews. One of those you should try is the Garmin Forerunner 910XT GPS-Enabled Sport Watch.
This is a watch that you can use for swimming, trekking, and cycling among other activities. Talking about swimming, Garmin Forerunner 910XT supports up to 50 meters of water depth. Thus, it may not be the ideal deep-diving watch.
It has a battery that lasts for over 20 hours when the GPS and connectivity features are active. You only need one lithium metal battery for this. The good thing is that it is part of the package.
The band measures 4.25 by 3.5 by 1.2 inches. It weighs less than 1.3 pounds. Below is a summary of the watch’s features.
- Water resistance: Whether you want to swim, cycle or run, the resistant Garmin Forerunner 910XT gives you the freedom you need. When you’re swimming, the watch will allow you to swim by tracking the distance, pace and even your heart rate.
- Land features: When cycling or running, the Garmin Forerunner 910XT synchronizes with tracking computers. This helps you to capture your distance, pace and speed among other important aspects. Barometers, altimeters and timers make this possible.
- Flexible compatibility: The watch is compatible with ANT+™ sensors which include the speed and cadence sensor for cyclists. If you want the best experience, you can pair the watch with a heart rate monitor or other accessories.
- Best swimming GPS watch
- Water resistant
- Compatible with ANT+™ sensors on accessories
- Compact and lightweight
- You may need to confirm that your shipping package actually works well
6. Suunto Core All Black Military Men’s Outdoor Sports Watch – SS014279010
Sometimes, you want to feel like a military officer- or you’re one already maybe. Whichever the case, you would need a smartwatch that makes you an effective one. Suunto Core All Black Military Men’s Outdoor Sports Watch – SS014279010 is a trusted brand for many enthusiasts.
It will be like a computer on your wrist! It has advanced weather forecasting and monitoring features. The backpacking watch has an altimeter, barometer, and digital compass.
The entirely black watch is compact and weighs 2.26 grams. It is lightweight, and the company will offer you up to two years in warranty. If you decide to swim with it on your wrist, you must not go beyond 30 feet. Here are some of its features.
- Altimeter: FusedAlti is Suunto’s feature that will measure the exact altitude position. It relies on barometric and GPS data which also help in recognizing any sudden changes in the weather. This makes it a handy tool for mountain climbers.
- Weather monitoring: Air pressure and storm warnings are important considerations for every hiker. The watch informs you about the number of daylight hours that you have.
- Digital Compass: The digital compass reinforces the GPS location technology to help you find your way home. It aids navigation especially when the visibility is poor.
- Water resistance: If you are a marine, or an enthusiast of the sea, you can use the watch for up to 30 meters.
- Altimeter present
- Monitor the weather
- Durable battery
- 30 feet water resistance
- Easy to use
- Black only
Don’t bother scouring online shops for the best outdoor watches under 200. We’ve already done that for you! TomTom Spark 3 Cardio is one of the finest you can get, and its features are just amazing!
It comes in two colors- black and aqua. You can choose the larger or smaller variety depending on your wrist size. It weighs 3.52 ounces and measures 10.6 by 1.5 by 0.6 inches. This makes it compact and lightweight.
It runs on one rechargeable lithium polymer battery. The charger is one of the other accessories present in the packaging box. Others include a Bluetooth headphones, documents and, of course, the watch!
Anyway, below is a list of features of the TomTom Spark 3 Cardio. Check if you’d love them!
- Bluetooth connectivity speaker: Sometimes, you want a smartwatch that will track the GPS and play music, too. TomTom Spark 3 Cardio has a Bluetooth music player and it comes with wireless headphones. The headphones are sweat and waterproof and they can take 4 hours before their charge dies off.
- Waterproof sport watch: Just because it is raining doesn’t mean that your watch will get wet and damaged. It is so waterproof that you can dive up to 40 meters deep without damaging it.
- Health Tracker smartwatch: TomTom Spark 3 Cardio is not just a GPS watch for hiking. It allows you to track your speed, pace, burned calories and even monitor your heart rate.
- Active GPS tracker
- Loaded with health monitoring features
- Sturdy and durable design
- Reliable battery life
- Users find problems synching TomTom Spark 3 Cardio with phones or computers.
If you’re looking for one of the cheapest multi-functional hiking smartwatches, Parnerme GPS Running Watch could be the right shot!
It comes in three varieties; the red, orange and black. Well, it’s a woman’s GPS watch but some men still like it. It measures 1.5 by 1.5 by 1.5 inches and weighs 9.6 ounces, which makes it a lightweight wearable device.
It was until late 2017 that it hit the stores. But it is already soaring by getting several positive reviews from buyers due to its impeccable features. Below are some of the Parnerme GPS Running Watch’s features you should know.
- Durable 360mAh Rechargeable Battery: Get an up to 400mAh battery for emergency use in the package. The box also contains a USB cable and charger.
- Compatibility: Sync your data with the HitFit app- it supports Android 4.4, iOS 8.0 via Bluetooth 4.0.
- Health tracker: Don’t just use the watch for time tracking. Let it monitor your sleep, health and heart rate. It will also keep track on your workouts in a more scientific way.
- Weather station: The watch comes with a digital weather station that helps you monitor the temperature, altitude and air pressure.
- Siri voice command: Use Bluetooth to pair Parnerme GPS Running Watch with an Apple device. Command Siri to operate and retrieve information on the watch.
- Limited colors
- Health monitoring features
- Weather tracking
- Supports only general notifications
- Doesn’t support making calls via watch
Sometimes, you want to a watch that lets you to upload your routes and then help you sort out the GPS. The watch will then use GPS and Glonass navigation satellite technologies to get you there. Well, if you want such a watch, try using Suunto Traverse.
The GPS hiking watch in a variety of colors; graphite, black, amber, sapphire and white. It is made of plastic and rubber material that is far more durable than Garmin watches.
In water, it can withstand up to 100 meters in depth. This means you can swim with it on your wrist as long as you do it in shallow waters.
Suunto Traverse weighs 0.8 ounces and 2 by 0.7 by 2 inches. This makes it compact and lightweight. You only need one CR2 battery to power it.
- Incoming calls and push notifications: Don’t miss your calls of chats! Suunto Traverse will display notifications from your selected apps. Synchronize with your phone to get calls, too.
- Weather station: The watch has a digital weather station right on your wrist! It has a barometer, altimeter and compass.
- Share adventures: With the Moves count app (compatible with iOS and Android), you can share your routes. You’ll also receive newsfeeds from your hiking partners. Turn your adventure into a 3D Suunto Movie using the collected data.
- 100m (330 ft) water resistance
- Built in compass
- Weather station
- Easy to use
- Ability to share adventures
- Strong GLONASS and GPS navigation
- High end price
Are you looking for the best Casio hiking watch? If yes, you need to give a shot to Casio Men’s ‘Pro Trek’ Quartz Stainless Steel and Titanium Sport Watch. It is a compact multifunctional smartwatch made for hiking, trekking and sometimes, swimming!
Casio is one of the biggest names in the manufacturer of watches and Pro Trek just tows to their quality. A lithium metal battery powers the watch, which weighs 2 ounces, and measures 5 by five by 5 inches.
The watch is both analog and digital. The watch has a stainless-steel casing and a titanium band material- you can guess the durability already!
Deep the watch in up to 330 ft (100 m) of water and not even a drop will sip in it. The watch is thus suitable for snorkeling and swimming but definitely not diving.
- Accurate timers and Quartz Movement: It has a negative display and it has auto-correction for the time.
- Weather monitoring: First, this watch is resistant to extreme weather. It measures air pressure, bearing and altitude.
- Tough Solar Power: Recently, Casio has been paying attention to the manufacture of solar-powered and radio controlled smartwatches. This watch has a built-in solar-power battery.
- Auto hand correction: You don’t need to worry about the time- the watch never lies! When the hands go wrong, it adjusts itself.
- 100 m (330 ft) in water resistance
- Weather station
- Solar powering
- Up to 6-month battery life
- Not ideal for swimming
- Has no health monitoring features
So, which is the best GPS watch for hiking? Of the watches reviewed in this post, Parnerme GPS Running Watch and Casio Men’s ‘Pro Trek’stand out. Parneme has powerful GPS and GLONASS as well as health monitoring features which give it an extra advantage.
Then, the Casio is sturdy, durable and it has automatic solar powering capabilities. The two watches are relatively cheaper than devices with the same features. Well, we recommend the two. Which is your favorite?